What can acupuncture treat?
The World Health Organization recognizes acupuncture as an effective treatment for the following conditions:
For a complete list from the World Health Organization, click here.
Other quotes from the World Health Organization about acupuncture: World Health Organization:
- Acupuncture analgesia can be regarded as the method of choice for treating many chronically painful conditions...
- Strokes and their sequelae are another major indication for acupuncture. Early treatment of paresis after stroke has proven highly effective...In randomized controlled studies, acupuncture treatment of hemiplegia due to cerebral infarction gave better results than conventional medication and physiotherapy...Good effects with Bell's Palsy have been reported....
- Acupuncture is more effective than antihistamine drugs in the treatment of allergic rhinitis.
- Primary dysmenorrhea...is one of the major indications for acupuncture in the field of gynecology.
- Acupuncture seems to be helpful to patients with [pre-menstrual disorders]. In a controlled study, the majority of the patients gained relief from symptoms and no recurrence in the six month follow-up.
- Insomnia can also be treated successfully with acupuncture.
- The effect of acupuncture on depression has been documented repeatedly in controlled studies.